Simple Black Beans and Eggs is the third in our series in Cooking for Hangry People, recipes to help inspire quick and nutritious meals to combat hanger, that dreaded combination of Hunger + Anger. We’ve tried to keep the recipes 20 minutes or under, and use a limited list of ingredients that are fairly easy to come by. More on why we started the series is here.
Some nights we’re completely out of dinner ideas, and the mere thought of cooking something seems exhausting. There’s something freeing about cooking using only the ingredients you’ve found rummaging through your pantry and fridge (brings out the inner Chopped contestant in us all!). More often than not, our weeknight impromptu cooking consists of something with eggs, beans, or both. We’ve remarked that we can whip up this meal faster than we could run out to get takeout — and usually it tastes better too.
These simple black beans and eggs are decidedly un-glamorous — but why not share the quick, down-to-earth meals we actually eat? In the day and age where Instagram-perfect meals have taken over our feeds, it’s good to remember that real food can be unrehearsed and simple. That said, for two sloppy piles, this meal actually looks lovely when served alongside sliced tomatoes and avocado and green cilantro confetti. The beans are our favorite simple method: simmered with some of their can liquid and a bit of cumin and cilantro. They’re served alongside our standard soft scrambled eggs, melty soft folds of goodness with a bit of sharp cheese for some flair. We can crank this one out in 20 minutes or less and mostly without thinking, which makes it a perfect meal for weeknight hangry moments.
We hope you enjoy this hangry meal idea — would you try it on a weeknight? Let us know your hangry meal ideas! We’d love to hear from you here or on Instagram.
PS Stay tuned for a hangry-themed A Couple Cooks podcast coming soon!
Did you make this recipe? Do you have a hangry tip?
We’d love to hear how it turned out. Leave a comment below or share a picture on Instagram and mention @acouplecooks. In honor of our hangry series, use the tag #hangrynomore !
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 handful cilantro
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or any flavorful cheese)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cherry tomatoes, for serving
- Avocado, for serving
- Mince the garlic. In a medium pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant for about 30 seconds. Turn down the heat. Add the black beans, along with their liquid, 4 sprigs of cilantro, ½ teaspoon cumin, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer 15 minutes until the liquid condenses.
- In a medium bowl, crack 4 eggs and whisk them together until well-beaten. Stir in ¼ cup shredded cheese, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, and plenty of fresh ground pepper. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Tilt the pan to ensure the entire pan is coated in the melted butter. Pour in the eggs.
- Keep the heat on medium. When the eggs just start to set, use a flat spatula to slowly scrape sections of eggs, creating folds. Scrape occasionally until the eggs form soft folds, and remove them from the heat just before they are fully hardened. Serve immediately with black beans, sliced cherry tomatoes, and sliced avocado, garnished with chopped cilantro.