There are certain times in life where a brownie can feel like a girl’s best friend. But we need to upgrade those brownies, and this is the recipe for that job. Chock-full of healthy ingredients like flaxseed meal (to replace eggs in a traditional recipe), sweetened with applesauce, and full of healthy fats from avocado, these vegan and gluten-free brownies are so rich and flavorful, your chocolate cravings will definitely be satisfied.
- For the brownie:
- 2 tablespoons organic flaxseed meal mixed with 4 tablespoons water
- 4 ounces avocado
- 4 ounces vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon organic orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup organic coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
- For the chocolate frosting:
- 2 ounces vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon organic triple-filtered coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8″x8″ baking pan with parchment paper and spray with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the flax eggs and set aside for 5 minutes. Melt chocolate chips over a double boiler.
- Add the avocado, melted chocolate, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, orange zest, vanilla extract, and applesauce to a food processor, and mix until the mixture is creamy with no lumps. You will need to stop the machine and scrape down the sides a few times. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the mixture, and process again until smooth.
- Pour the batter evenly into the baking pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle the raw walnuts on top of the batter and press down slightly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, and allow the brownie to cool completely.
- While the brownie is cooling, make the chocolate frosting. Melt chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler. Once the brownie has cooled, cover with the chocolate sauce.
- Slice and serve this decadent chocolate brownie, and enjoy!
- 9 to 12 brownies
Are you team avocado? We sure are! Our motto is basically avocado all day, everyday. And with this no-bake “cheese” cake you can enjoy your avo for dessert. Learn how easy it is to make when you watch the video then check out the recipe below.
- 12 vegan graham crackers
- 5 tbsp. coconut oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ tsp. sea salt
- 9 dates, pitted
- Tart Filling
- 6 avocados
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup agave nectar
- 1 ½ tbsp. coconut oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. salt
- Blackberries, split in half or whole
Combine graham crackers, coconut oil, lemon zest, salt, and dates in a food processor and blend until it reaches a sand-like texture.
- Press down your crust mixture into a 9-inch springform pan with the palm of your hand or the bottom of a round glass. Place your crust in the refrigerator until your filling is ready.
- To make the filling, combine the avocados, lemon juice, agave nectar, coconut oil, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and salt in a food processor and blend until it reaches a nice, smooth texture; pour over your crust. Shake your pan on the surface of a table to even out and smooth your filling.
- Place in the freezer for 3 hours or refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
- Once your cheesecake has set, take it out of your springform pan and place blackberries on the top. Then cut out a slice or 3 and enjoy.
- Desserts, Cheesecake