I was raised in a household that collected things. We visited antique stores looking for Wallace Nuttings and spode dishes. It was a big part of my childhood and while I didn’t always like it,I have an appreciation for it now. Fast forward, I don’t collect antiques but there are two things my house is […]
It’s not often I crave a salad, but when I do, it’s got to be a good one – and this fig and halloumi salad is a great one (when is anything with halloumi not great?). Despite feeling pretty fancy (it’s very rare that my dinner is this elegant), it’s nice and simple, with just 4 main […]
We hacked the sugar-laden Starbucks Unicorn frapuccino and made it healthier. We’ve not only captured the magical blue essence by using spirulina, the healthiest blue-green algae around, but we also decrease the sugar content by half. Watch the video to see just how easy it is to make, then peruse the recipe and make your own colorful drink.
- Pink Layer
- ¼ cup organic Greek yogurt
- ½ cup frozen mango
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon beet powder
- Blue/Green Layer
- ¼ cup organic coconut cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon spirulina powder
- Whipped coconut topping
- Crushed freeze-dried strawberries
- Crushed freeze-dried blueberries
- Place the coconut cream, frozen fruit, lemon juice, honey, vanilla, and beet powder into the blender, and process on high until you have a smooth and creamy consistency. This will take several minutes. Fill a 16-ounce glass with the smoothie mixture about ¾ of the way.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut cream, lemon juice, honey, vanilla extract, and spirulina. Using a funnel, pour the mixture into a small squeeze bottle. Squeeze the blue/green smoothie over the pink layer, pushing the tip of the squeeze bottle below the pink layer, then dragging above to create a zigzag pattern.
- Pour the remaining pink smoothie on top. Pipe the coconut whipped topping and sprinkle with the crushed freeze-dried berries to serve. Drink up and fly away into your sparkly unicorn dreams.
- 16-ounce serving
- Calories per serving